Going from Crystal's post about Kosrae, I got to thinking that we might come up with a teacher training about Micronesia. Maybe start with a survey on what teacher's know. The objective would be to provide resources for the teachers to incorporate information about Micronesia into their lessons. What do you think? I don't know if this is being done now. Maybe it is.
Barbara
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/cia07/micronesia_sm_2007.gif
Saturday, March 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Barbara, You are always coming up with ideas to improve the way we teach. I think it's a great idea. I for one need to know more about our outer islands, the language, the cultures, everything.
Here's my idea: PDN is doing Project Unity which focuses on the diverse cultures on Guam. They will be publishing an article every Monday. For the grant, I suggest we get together with PDN and propose to use their articles as the source for a thematic curriculum that we can provide to teachers.
Great idea. If I'm not mistaken, your idea of implementing an integration of classroom lessons and some history of the Micronesian islands and cultures is in the working, but VERY LIMITED. I believe the fourth grade level standards include an entire section for 'History of Guam'. Like I mentioned, this is very minimal. It would be a great idea to lead our educators in learning and then teaching about the Micronesian surroundings as an entire theme. Great thinking Barb.
Regards,
Sheila
Post a Comment