Wednesday, March 21, 2007


Well, I wanted to change the picture but I couldn't find "edit" anywhere. Is there such a thing for our blog? Anyway, class was very lively this afternoon. We sure can talk a lot. But everything was informative and interesting. The presentations were great. When I listen to the two of you, Barbara and Sheila, you sound so professional. You really know your stuff. Sheila, you are going to go far in your career and Barbara, you already have and you're still going. Wow! And look at you Dr. Rivera; so young and a PHD under your belt. I take my hat off to all of you. All of you have qualities that I would love to have. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting myself down. I'm just complimenting!

After we did the Micronesian Hunt, I thought I've lived in Guam for 40 years and I don't know that much about the outer islands. So I went searching and found the "Sleeping Lady". Here's a short version of the legend:
The locals believe that in ancient times, the Gods became angry with Kosrae and laid her on her back where she became an island. The view from the causeway makes it easy to see why Kosrae was called the "Land of the Sleeping Lady" and from the top of Mount Finkol, all from Lelu Harbour you can still see her head, hair, stomach and breasts outlined against the sky as per picture .
Have a Great Weekend and see you tomorrow Sheila!

2 comments:

Barb Jacala said...

Good job, Crystal. So Kosrae is the sleeping lady. I, too am not very well versed in my Micronesian geography. I think that is something that needs to be pushed in schools - more focus on what is around us. We should be able to name all the islands, identify where they are in relation to us, distinguish one islander from another, know some of their language, etc. Shame on me. I don't know any of these either. But I think we should.

Barbara

Sheila Indalecio said...

I think I mixed up the sleeping lady with the 'White Lady's Bridge' in Maina. Thanks for the clarification Crys. I really did enjoy that activity. It encourages you to dig for cultural aspects that we are unaware of. I actually took the time to really watch how my father-in-law made his pugua' chew. :)
See you all soon,
Sheila