Basically, early childhood literacy heads to prepare young children before they enter elementary school. It is an intervention to decrease the need for intervention when the child attends elementary school. My son, my first child, profited greatly by attending preschool/daycare. His teacher attended courses in order to guide and lead him to meet Head Start Standards. He could sing the alphabets, count far, distinguish colors, write his name, and more. Gald, Cullinan, and Strickland (1997) indicated that literacy learning begins early on, beginning at home. They also stated that children are not concerned about learning literacy. Instead, the children are more concerned about interacting and learning with others. As I recall, my son was always engaged in activities in his preschool/daycare. His stories were always about who did what and what he found out with his friends. According to Halliday (1987), the process of making meaning is a shared process.
Sharing the 'Picture Reflection' activity and learning something new about you all was a great experience, by the way. I learned that Crystal is mindful of the environment. I learned that Barbara is very passionate with God and her spiritual beliefs, which I strongly am as well. Out of curiosity and a quest to know you better, what did you see and think of when you first saw this picture activity? I'm looking forward to your response. Have a great weekend!
Regards,
Sheila S. Indalecio
1 comment:
If you're talking about the picture you posted with your blog of the old time schoolroom, I thought of my grandmother and the stories she used to tell me about her teacher and that picture tells it all. She was raised in the mountains of North Carolina and she went to school in a one room school with all grade levels present. How's that for a challenge?
Post a Comment